How can I appeal an order a judge entered

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I appeal an order a judge entered

I live in Colorado and the judge believed my exhusband regarding the cost of a
computer. I have the beginnings of proof of the actual cost. I had to by my ex
a computer plus I’m ordered to pay him an additional 400. I need to get that
stopped b/c that is nowhere near what the actual cost was. My original divorce
attorney was a piece of not awesomeness and didn’t fight on this.

Asked on December 5, 2017 under Family Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You file an appeal by filing one in accordance with the court rules: those rules will spell out how long you have to appeal, what papers you need to file for sit, where you send those paper, the costs or fees, etc. You should be able to get a copy of the court rules online; worst case, you could buy the court rule book (do a "Google" search to find out where/from who to buy it and cost), or else go to the courthouse's legal library (most courthouses have one) and use the copy there.
But note that 1) appeals are very technical--even lawyers who don't regularly do appeals find them difficult; 2) they can be costly--you appeal based on the "record" or transcript from the court hearing you are appealing, and those transcripts can cost several hundred dollars (plus you have the cost of filing the appeal); and 3) most appeals fails--appellate courts do not reverse or overturn decisions far more often than they do overturn them. So you could go to alot of time and cost to not accomplish anything--think carefully about whether an appeal is worthwhile.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption