How can I add my name on sibling’s deed?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I add my name on sibling’s deed?

I’ve been my sibling’s caregiver since he became ill. I have been taking care of him as well as his house for the past 5 years. I don’t want him to lose his home. I have a POA for him. What would I need to do to be able to add my name to his deed or title?

Asked on July 22, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you you have a POA from him which includes power over real estate, you have the same legal authority over his property as he has, and so have the legal power to execute a quitclaim deed of half his interest in the home to yourself; that will put your name on the title and make you half owner.
But if you're looking to protect the house from Medicaid, bear in mind that any transfer must be done more than 5 years before he needs Medicaid; otherwise, Medicaid can set aside transfers to relatives (or to anyone for less than fair market value) occuring less than 5 years before Medicaid is. needed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption