How can I access a living Trust that I believe I am involved in?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I access a living Trust that I believe I am involved in?

My grandmother passed away but had recently stated that she left me something in her living Trust but my uncle, who claims to be the sole beneficiary, will not let me see it. Is there a way I can request a copy of my grandmother’s Will or living Trust?

Asked on August 5, 2013 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  A Living Trust is a trust that is created for your benefit while you are alive.  But it does also state what happens to your assets when you die, much like a Will.  THose that are entitled to see a copy of the trust are - besides the lawyer and trustee - the beneficiaries named in it.  If you believe that you are a named beneficiary and that the trustee is holding assets from you, you need to contest the trust and force the trustee to give you a copy.  You may need legal help with this.  See if you can hire an attorney on a flat fee to send a letter on your behalf.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption