How can I access a car’s title after inheriting it?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I access a car’s title after inheriting it?

I recently inherited a car from my aunt’s estate. The lawyer my aunt hired to represent her gave me the registration and keys. He was supposed to mail the paperwork to change the title over to me, but the DMV said they have not received it. For over a month, the lawyer has not returned my calls. I have spoken to 2 DMV reps, but their answers differ as to what I do next. Since the lawyer is not cooperative, can I provide the DMV with a copy of the death certificate, registration and copy of the Will to prove I am the new owner?

Asked on June 24, 2011 under Estate Planning, Maine


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No I do not believe that that will work.  When you say your aunt hired an attorney to represent her do you mean that he is the executor of the estate?  Did he also draw up the Will?  Hummm..  That is suspect these days in many states.  I would go to the court in which the probate of the Will is pending and see what is going on. The executor needs to transfer the title of the car to you as the fiduciary of your Aunt's estate.  And if he is not properly doing his job then you need to get help to force him to do so.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption