How am I being sued without a hearing or court?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How am I being sued without a hearing or court?

Two years ago I was in a parking lot
accident with another woman. There was
no damage of her car and there were
pictures taken. Now I am being contacted
by a law firm trying to collect around
1500 for this. I have never seen
pictures, I’ve never been contacted to a
trial, court or a simple hearing. There
were no cops. How is this legal? What
are my next steps? Does this mean I’m
being sued?

Asked on September 13, 2017 under Accident Law, Arkansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You haven't been sued until you are served with the summons and complaint.  The complaint is the lawsuit.
The law firm is contacting you because the statute of limitations is approaching and the matter has not been settled with your auto insurance company.
Refer the matter to the auto insurance company you had at the time of the incident.  Your insurance company will handle the case for you.  In the event of a lawsuit, your insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.
It is unlikely that a lawsuit will be filed against you by the law firm because the amount in question would be a case for small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption