House sold off due to back real estate taxes. What happens to excess money once taxes are paid

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

House sold off due to back real estate taxes. What happens to excess money once taxes are paid

I owned a home in Ohio which was sold off due to unpaid
property taxes. There was no mortgage on the property, I
was the sole owner. Once the property taxes are paid in
full to the County what happens to the remainder of the
money that purchaser paid to buy the property? Am I
entitled to any of these excess funds?

Asked on July 16, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file a claim for the excess funds with the county; this claim should be filed as soon as possible, since there is a relatively short timeline for doing so. If after everyone who feels that they may have a claim (e.g. any lien holders) has files, the claims will be reviewed. If there are not other mortgages, liens, etc. to pay off, the excess will go to you, as the last owner pre-sale. You can get instructions on doing this from the county (try the tax office or sheriff's office).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption