Can an occupant of real property obtain ownership rights to it?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an occupant of real property obtain ownership rights to it?

My grandfather bought a townhouse and let me and my wife live there for free. Now we are getting a divorce. My grandfather now wants to sell it. Can my wife’s lawyer stop him from doing that? Or is entitled to a share of it even though she has nothing to do with it.

Asked on November 3, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If the townhouse is owned by your grandfather and your soon-to-be-ex-wife is not on the title or otherwise has any ownership interest in it, she cannot prevent your grandfather from evicting her or selling the property. If she contributed in some material fashion to the purchase of the townhome--even if she was not on the title or deed--it is *possible* that  she could claim an equitable interest in it sufficient to allow her some proportionate share of the proceeds. However, if she only paid rent as a tenant (including paying "rent" by paying utilities, taxes, etc.)--or paid no rent whatsoever--she would not be entitled to any share of the proceeds.

It is important to note that your grandfather should, prior to selling the home, evict her, which has to be done through the courts, even if she never paid rent and had no lease. A lawyer can help him do this; it's important in eviction to do the paperwork right, so having a lawyer's assistance would be a worthwhile investment. Note also that proper notice must be provided her, which notice will depend on the exact situation; again, a lawyer can help with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption