If I’m with someone and we buy a house with my name on the loan and theirs and my name is on the deed, what happens if we split up?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m with someone and we buy a house with my name on the loan and theirs and my name is on the deed, what happens if we split up?

We’re not married yet. Can it get changed to them being financially liable on loan if split up?

Asked on January 10, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

A loan is a contract: only those persons who sign the loan and agree to pay it are responsible for it. So if you are the only one on the loan, you'd be the only one who has to pay it--the other person, not being on the loan is not liable for it.
If the loan has been taken out already, you can't change it to make them responsible for the loan unless both they and the lender agree to that--changes to contractrs require the consent of *everyone* one or who will be added to it.
If he is on the deed but not loan, then if you split up, he is entitled to half the value of or equity in the home--and you will be 100% responsible for the loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption