House divided with no will

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

House divided with no will

My dad passed without a Will. The house is technically mine my sister and brothers. He lives in a nursing home run by social services. Can he sign off on the house or will the nursing home want the money for his portion of the house?

Asked on November 2, 2019 under Estate Planning, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You write that house is "technically" your and your siblings', but there's no such thing as a house "technically" belonging to someone--either it does or it does not. If the house had been your father's--titled in his name--then it was his house while he was alive, his estate's now that he has passed. You and your siblings may inherit it, but you don't until probate is finished.
If Medicaid paid for your father's nursing home stay, then social services can try to take the house if they choose to repay the money spent on him. They are not required to, but may.
If this does not answer your question, repost it with additional information about who owned the house and any changes in ownership, and when those changes occured and how.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption