UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


my employer refuses to give me any hours of work and i have not been suspended or fired or written up for any offense. i have called the employment hotline twice with no resolve and the district manager as well and have been ignored can i do something here ?

Asked on June 7, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Probably, the only thing you can do is get another job.  Unless you have a contract with your employer, you are employed "at will," which means that the employer doesn't need a reason to fire you.  So the employer can cut your hours like this, and since that's less drastic than firing, they don't need a reason for that either.

There are some exceptions to this, but they are very limited.  If there is an employee handbook that has been set up the wrong way (from the employer's point of view, and this is rare), there is a small chance it can be seen as a contract, and whatever it says about hours might be enforceable.  Other than that, as long as there is no illegal discrimination going on, or illegal retaliation for something like filing a workers compensation claim, the employer can do this.

If you think there are any facts that might add to this, if you are being treated differently from all other employees, you might want to talk to a labor lawyer. One place to look for an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption