What are my rights if a drunk driver damaged the well on my property?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if a drunk driver damaged the well on my property?

He blew a .22, was arrested and was carted off to hospital/jail. My question is, I’ve been unable to drink the well water for almost 2 weeks, I’ve had to pay $1000 for my deductible out of my own pocket and dealing with insurance and all the contractors eats into my time While insurance paid out, my biggest frustration is I’ve had to burn thru numerous hours fixing issues he created. What steps should I look at taking? Contact the kid or father asking for my deductible to be paid? contact a lawyer and let them deal with it? much appreciated

Asked on August 4, 2015 under Accident Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Whether you contact an attorney to help you or act as own lawyer is fundamentally an economic question: are you reasonably entitled (if you win; and remember, even in strong cases, like yours, you cannot 100% count on winning) to enough money to justify the cost of an attorney and make it worthwhile to engage one to increase your chance of winning? As a quick rule of thumb, if the amount at stake is less than the maximum limit for your small claims court, you should probably file in smalls claims court, acting as your own attorney (pro se); if more than that, you should probably speak with an attorney.

In terms of what you could reasonable  expect to recover, you cannot recover for your own time spent dealing with the issues: the law does not provide compensation for the waste of your own time (or for frustration). You can recover your out of pocket (not reimbursed by insurance) costs, which apparently is your $1,000 deductible for repairs as well as any costs from not having a  well (buying bottled water; bringing clothing to a laundromat instead of washing it at home; etc.).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption