Homes in a divorce

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Homes in a divorce

My wife asked for a divorce. We have 2 homes in our names with 2 mortgages also both in our names. We’ll call it house A is currently rented and house B we currently live in. I want to keep house B and give our tenant notice and my wife can have house A. House A is worth less but also comes with a much smaller mortgage and property taxes than house B. The debt to equity ratio is pretty close wity both houses. Would this be possiblity if we both agree on this?

Asked on May 11, 2019 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you both agree to it, it's essentially a guaranty, not merely a possibility, unless in reviewing the agreement, the court believes that one of you defrauded the other (e.g. lied about the relative house values) or coerced (e.g. threatened) the other to enter into the deal. When there is no fraud or coercion, whatever the two of you knowingly and voluntarily agreed to is valid. Since based on what you write, what you proposes appears equitable (and thus like a deal that a reasonable person would enter into), there does not seem to be any reason for a court to not conclude that the deal is a voluntary or knowing one, unless your wife were to in court allege fraudulent or coercive behavior.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption