What are my rights to spousal suport if I have been a stay-at-home mom for the past 24 years?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to spousal suport if I have been a stay-at-home mom for the past 24 years?

My husband filed for divorce the month before last. He refuses to pay any spousal support but I am not educated or trained in anything. We are agreeing to alternate weeks in the marital home with our children. He has agreed to keep all debt and he will remain in the home. I am currently living at his mother’s house every other week due to no income. I know nothing about how divorce works or my rights as a parent who stayed home for 24 years. He just says that I’m not entitled to anything and in a judge won’t care if I’m uneducated and not prepared for a job. However, he has a good paying job, is on salary and has a place he stays out of town on his off weeks. I’m looking for work and finding it difficult to start with nothing at the age of 42, especially with no experience or training. I’m tired and want it over, to the point I agree with him so it will just be over. Am I wasting my time trying for some spousal support? We’ll be seperated 90 days next week.

Asked on February 2, 2018 under Family Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Tje fact is that you should have legal counsel, especially because children are invovled. Since money is an issue for you, see if Legal Aid can assist you. If not, then check if there is a law school in your area since many run legal clinics that take clients for free/reduced fees. Additionally, you check if your local county/state bar association has a list of attorneys who will represent clients "pro bono" (i.e. for free) based on their income/circumstances. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption