What tyo do if a home was purchased under the first-time home buyer credit and one owner wants out before the 3 years is up?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What tyo do if a home was purchased under the first-time home buyer credit and one owner wants out before the 3 years is up?

A former friend and I purchased a single family house 2 years ago and we received the firsttime home buyer credit. It is a tenancy in common situation where we both have equal rights to the house. I have gotten married and would like to sell out my ownership in the house to go and live elsewhere with my wife. If I go ahead with this, will a portion of or the entire tax credit have to be repaid?

Asked on April 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you sell out your interest in the home that you purchased before the three year time period is up, you will be required to repay your portion of the tax credit that you received. I suggest that if your former friend wants to buy out your interest in the home, that you sign a contract with respect to the terms of the buy out and close escrow after the three year period with respect to the pay back of the tax credit is over as to your interests in the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption