Home loan

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Home loan

My husband and I have have been married over 20 years. He had one son; I have 4 sons. His name is the only name on the morgage of our house. Can his son take the house or does my name need to be on the loan? He is on drugs and I fear I will lose our house when my husband passes. He is in a nursing home with bone cancer and will never come home.

Asked on August 9, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If there is a will, it goes to whomever he willed it to. IF there is no will, then it goes by "intestate succession," or the rules for who gets what in the absence of a will. In that case, in your state, if his one son is with you, you inherit everything; if his one son was with someone else, you get 1/3 his estate (i.e. 1/3 the total value of what he leaves behind) and his son gets the other 2/3.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption