Home insurance been over charging for 5 years do they have to pay me back

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Home insurance been over charging for 5 years do they have to pay me back

I have been charged for multi family when I own a single family. can I sue to get my money back?

Asked on August 14, 2018 under Insurance Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If they charged you more than you owe as per the terms of your contract (an insurance policy is a contract) or based on incorrect facts in the contract (e.g. mischaracterizing your home), they do owe you a refund. They are not legally allowed to keep more money than they are entitled to under the agreement or for the services (the insurance) they provided. If they will not voluntarily repay it, you can sue them for breach of contract, or violating the terms of your agreement. You can sue for as many years back as the "statute of limitations," or time period within which you must start a lawsuit, is in your state for a contract-based case: that is six (6) years, so it appears that you could seek all five years of overpayment. Unfortunately, a lawsuit is the only way to get the money, if they will not voluntarily repay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption