What is needed to establish a “home” for exemption purposes?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is needed to establish a “home” for exemption purposes?

I own a home but it’s in foreclosure. I am considering putting a trailer on some land that I own. What do I need to do in order for this home to be considered an exemption? Timing of bankruptcy, loss of my home, and establishing my trailer as primary residence?

Asked on February 21, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


laura smith

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor


As long as you live in the trailer, you should be able to claim the trailer as an exemption. The bankruptcy rules vary by state. If you would like more information about filing bankruptcy in Mesa AZ, please feel free to contact us at http://www.fifecestalaw.com

Mark J. Markus / Mark J. Markus, Law Offices of

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether a dwelling can be considered "sufficient" to be allowed a homestead exemption, and other requirements of a homestead exemption, are going to be governed by the laws of the state where the dwelling is located.  In most states, I'm sure a trailer would be eligible for a homestead exemption if you are living in it at the time of the levy or filing of bankruptcy or whatever other event that occurs for which you need the exemption.

You should check with an attorney in your state for more specifics.


Mark J. Markus, Attorney at Law

Handling exclusively bankruptcy law cases in California since 1991.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption