Ho do I relinquish my rights to a piece of property that I inherited?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ho do I relinquish my rights to a piece of property that I inherited?

I am an heir to property and I want to relinquish my right, is there a form I can fill out and have it notarized? The owners of the property are deceased. Even though I am a relative, I want to relinquish my rights to any part of this property. I am a co-owner. Can I create my own relinquishment form and have it notarized to present to the court without an attorney. There was no Will.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to disclaim your potential inheritance to a piece of real estate under North Carolina's intestacy laws, you need to contact the appointed administrator of the estate that is going through the administration process as well as the attorney (assuming there is one) handling the estate's administration about your desire.

The attorney (assuming there is one) for the proceeding will draft a disclaimer for you to sign and date under the penalty of perjury to be signed before a notary public. In the document it will state your name, your relationship to the decedent and your desire to disclaim any inheritance from the decedent.

The document will then be filed in the court proceeding concerning the estate's administration. If you want to create your own disclaimer without an attorney's assistance, you can do so and file it with the court clerk.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption