What are my rights if I was driving my boyfriend’s truck and was rear-ended by an uninsured driver?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was driving my boyfriend’s truck and was rear-ended by an uninsured driver?

We exchanged information and she told me that she would pay for the damages

out of pocket. I got a quote for the damages a few days later, just shy of $900. When I originally contacted her with the estimate she asked for a month to come up with the money and I obliged. Since then she keeps putting off the payment and has not responded to my last 3 texts. I just want her to pay for the damages she caused. I don’t want to start a lot of issues for anyone but I don’t know what my options are at this point.

Asked on June 11, 2017 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I assume you were not injured in the accident since you didn't mention it.
If the accident is property damage only, your boyfriend, the registered owner of the vehicle, should file a property damage claim with the at-fault party's insurance carrier. 
If the case is not settled with the at-fault party or her insurance carrier, your boyfriend (the registered owner of the vehicle you were driving) should sue the at-fault party for negligence.
Depending on the amount of damage to the vehicle, it may be possible to file the lawsuit in small claims court.  Upon prevailing in the case, your boyfriend can recover his damages (cost of repairs to the vehicle) and court costs which include the court filing fee and process server fee.
A court judgment against the at-fault party can be enforced with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption