What to do about travel expenses after an out-of-state accident?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about travel expenses after an out-of-state accident?

While on vacation in KS my wife and I were struck and run off the interstate by a full size red pickup. The driver of the red truck ran off the road, got there vehicle under control and kept going, according to witnesses. My wife was air lifted to a hospital with multiple injuries and is currently in ICU. I have no way to get me or her home, when needed and my insurance does not provide for this. I recieved a fair quote for the amount of my vehicle, as it is totaled but what about the rest of my expenses, i.e. motel, meals, work. I’m not leaving her here.

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Accident Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your insurance should be covering this. First and foremost, contact the Kansas police and get them to begin searching for this truck - - even a partial plate or description of this truck that has much damage will be helpful. Get the news involved and have them plaster something on the news. Then, contact your insurance company again and explain that they are required to provide you help, otherwise they risk being held liable for bad faith coverage. Get someone to help you locate a personal injury or insurance litigation attorney in your home state for now. Contact your state's department of insurance, and immediately file a complaint to see if anything can be done. In the interim, you will have to pay for these until such time as your insurance company agrees to pay and/or you find the other driver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption