Hit a pedestrian

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hit a pedestrian

My child drive the car from west to east in morning around 8am,she was slowdown to turn left at intersection, speed is 5. Due to sun dazzling, she didn’t see the pedestrian.The pedestrian was slipped down and then she sit up by herself, it is no rollover. What should I expect?

Asked on September 30, 2017 under Personal Injury, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

As the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable for the pedestrian's medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and wage loss.
If your daughter is not on your auto insurance policy, your insurance carrier will deem her to be an unauthorized driver and will deny the injured pedestrian's claim.  If that happens, you will be personally liable and will have to pay compensation to the pedestrian.
If you can't afford to do that, it would be advisable to file bankruptcy when there is a court judgment against you.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.  It is premature to file bankruptcy until there is a court judgment against you because you will need to know the amount of that judgment when filing bankruptcy.
If your daughter is an authorized driver on your insurance policy, your auto insurance will handle the matter, and if the case is settled with the injured party that will end the matter without a lawsuit being filed.
If the case is NOT settled with your auto insurance carrier, a lawsuit will be filed and your auto insurance carrier will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.
DON'T WORRY about it because if there is a lawsuit, it might not be filed for two years since CA has a two year statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit in a personal injury case.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption