What to do if when backing out of my parking space at my apartment complex, I hit a car parked illegally in the fire lane?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if when backing out of my parking space at my apartment complex, I hit a car parked illegally in the fire lane?

There is a clear sign stating, “No Parking”. It is a tight fit pulling out of my spot due to a post from the carport, and the other car’s illegal parking location contributed to the accident. After waiting for the other car owner, I left a note explaining what happened and leaving my first name and phone number. I mentioned I had a photo of their car parked there illegally, and I suggested a company that can fix the minor dent for $100-200. Their insurance company left me a voicemail, mentioning that the car owner has issued a claim. They do not have my insurance information (or my last name). Can I ignore the insurance company?

Asked on October 28, 2013 under Accident Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should not ignore the insurance company.  They have enough information that they will be able to figure out who you are.  You should have reported this accident to your own insurance company.  If you have not, do so now.  The fact that the car was parked illegally means the car owner was negligent per se and therefore partially responsible, but you are at least equally responsible for the damage.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption