What to do about a B1/B2 visa and an expired I-94?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a B1/B2 visa and an expired I-94?

My wife and I got married while I was in the Military stationed in Japan. She is a Philipinnes citizen. After we were married we had that great earthquake in japan and she was able to get a B1/B2 visa for an emergency evacuation. She has been in the US ever since then. Her I-94 is expired. Her form I-130 has been approved and we have been saving up money to file the form I-485. Is this the correct way to handle this? Is it OK that her visa is a B1/B2 and that her I-94 is expired?

Asked on August 5, 2014 under Immigration Law, Louisiana


Theresa Langford / Theresa C. Langford, Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Are you an American citizen?  If so, you should be fine - but the I485 should have been filed at the same time as the I130.  File it asap.  Many times a qualified immigration attorney will review your file to determine your situation for a consultation fee, usually around $200.  You have a lot at stake here, and should make the investment to be sure she is on the right track, and not at risk. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption