If my spouse purchased a home before out divorce was finalized, should he have declared the house as an asset?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my spouse purchased a home before out divorce was finalized, should he have declared the house as an asset?

My decree nisi came through 9 years ago. I recently found out that my ex purchased a house with his new partner a year earlier after committing adultery. Can I do anything about the situation as I have been left in debt; it took 5 years to get maintenance for 3 kids.

Asked on August 22, 2011 California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think that you should speak with an attorney on the matter because the time line here is a little fuzzy on the asset purchase. But more importantly, you need to make sure that the kids are covered here and protected.  Now, generally speaking, when parties file for divorce, there is a dtae that the court ises to determine the end date of the marriage.  If one sues the other and files for divorce, the court uses that date as a date certain for distribution of assets.  If you came to an agreement before filing the agreement usually sets the date. In other words, if he or she purchased the house after the paperwork was filed or after the date agreed to in the separation agreement then it is probably considered separate property.  But checking on the dates can never hurt.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption