What to do if I was charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana and don’t have money to hire a lawyer?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I was charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana and don’t have money to hire a lawyer?

I have never been in any trouble or anything. I want to avoid this going on my record as after one semester in school I will have my associates in art degree and then I’m looking to enlist in the military. What are my options and what should I do?

Asked on April 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you go to your local public defender's office or legal aid clinic to see what can be done for you. Possibly you can be placed on court probabtion since this is your first offense and if you satisfy the terms and conditions of the probation the action will be dismissed as to you without a conviction which would allow you to enlist in our military.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption