What are my options regarding a contractor and incorrect materials?

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options regarding a contractor and incorrect materials?

I signed a contract with a flooring contractor about 3 weeks ago. I paid $2k up front for the materials and demolition. The contractor was to start about a week or so later and finish 5 days after that. The contractor started on time but after that, no work was completed until 9 days after it was supposed to have been because he claimed the manufacturer sent the wrong tile. I come home on day and the wrong tile was laid. I called the contractor and he said the tile I ordered did not exist anymore because dye lots change often. He agreed to refund my money for materials and only charge me for the demo. He has yet to get back to me.

Asked on November 24, 2013 under Business Law, Arizona


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You do not say how long it has been since you spoke last with the contractor.  If you believe you are going to have trouble getting a refund, you can file a complaint with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors.  You also have the option of suing the Contractor to get your money back.   You can sue in small claims court in Maricopa County for up to $2,500.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption