What to do if I have been staying in a friend’s house for over a month and he now wants me and my family to move on 1 day’s notice?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been staying in a friend’s house for over a month and he now wants me and my family to move on 1 day’s notice?

I moved into a house that the owner said I could stay in after losing my house to foreclosure. We don’t have a lease; it was a friend situation. I have 2 children living there with me and they are enrolled in school. We’ve been there for about a month or a little longer. Things are not working out and the owner gave me written notice to be out of the house but only gave me 1 day to leave, which is impossible and unfair. What rights do I have? Does he have the right to do that or does he have to give me a certain amount of notice?

Asked on August 23, 2011 Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you and your family are not tenants of the home you are staying at belonging to your friend. You are "guests". "Guests" pay no rent or utilities. "Guests" are visitors and as such, are free to come and go as they please as long as the host allows them to be in the home.

Unfortunately, your friend and host wants you and your family to leave his home on short notice. As a "guest" at this home, you have no rights as a tenant under the laws of your state. You need to speak with your friend about the situation, acknowledge his request and ask for additional time to move out with your family from his home. Hopefully he will be willing to do so since there are children involved.

At worst, he will serve you with a notice to vacate and if you have not vacated in the stated time under Colorado law for a tenant to leave, the friend and host may file an unlawful detainer action for your removal. However, this takes some time which hopefully will allow you to find some new accomodations.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption