Hi, I’m currently a green card holder but i have been before I was 18.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hi, I’m currently a green card holder but i have been before I was 18.

My father is a US Citizen through Naturalization. He had custody of me at the time I was given my permanent residence which was 3 years ago. I wanted to know what i had to do to gain US Citizenship?

Asked on September 30, 2015 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If he became a US citizen after you became a permanent resident and you were under the age of 18 when he naturalized, you automatically became a US citizen at that time.  To review it more specifically, you'd need to provide specific dates and information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption