What to do if I have just being denied my OPT student visa extension as it was received by the USCIS 2 days late?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have just being denied my OPT student visa extension as it was received by the USCIS 2 days late?

The reason I held off submitting my OPT application was because I was still waiting to hear back from a college about final scholarship aid to start studying for my masters degree. I obviously aimed to get the application in on time but apparently didn’t. I was caught between waiting to see if I would be applying for another F-1 student visa through the college or go through with the OPT route. The denial letter states the decision cannot be appealed but a motion to reopen or to reconsider is possible. Would this be grounds for such a motion?

Asked on September 30, 2014 under Immigration Law, Kentucky


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can try but there is no guarantee.  They will not really care too much about the reasons for the delay since it is very clear that if the application is not submitted in a timely manner, it cannot be reviewed.  You should have submitted it on time even if it meant paying the filing fee which might be a waster after the fact (if you had chosen to get a new F-1 status) but this is not really something USCIS is going to be concerned with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption