What will happen if I have a passport with my maiden name and an H4 stamping in it?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I have a passport with my maiden name and an H4 stamping in it?

I have my visa with my maiden name. I have been in the US for a year. Now while entering my spouse’s name into my passport, I have changed my name with my husband’s surname. I need to go for extension of my H4. Will there be any issue of my visa?

Asked on March 7, 2013 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There should not be any issues really.  YOu have your marriage certificate which is proof of the basis for your new name.  You should also notify your home country government of the new change so that you can have the passport records updated, either by getting a new passport or getting a stamp in the passport indicating your new legal name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption