What to do if I got pulled over last night for reasons unknown?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I got pulled over last night for reasons unknown?

The officer asked me if I had marijuana in the car and I said yes because I have my medical marijuana card. He asked to search my car and I said he could. Upon searching he found I also had hash, which I thought was the same as having marijuana. He told me he was going to arrest me for having hash, even though I got it from a dispensary and thought it was completely legal. He didn’t take me to jail, but said he was going to send the case to the DA who would decide whether or not to file charges. How much trouble could I get into for this?

Asked on August 1, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you purchased this hash from a legal medical dispensary, you will probably not be prosecuted.  Whether you did anything illegal may depend on what your prescription authorized you to purchase legally.  However, it seems unlikely the DA will want to bother charging you in California.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption