What to do if a subcontractor caused damages to a client’s home?

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 4, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a subcontractor caused damages to a client’s home?

I have a small home repairs company. Last moth a customer ask me to make some reparations at her home. Since I had a personal emergency I could not supervise the job. The owner ask to The subcontrator to install a door and some lights, he accepted without any contract. While they performed the job, they made some damages when they installed the door. Now I do not know what to do, since the owner of the house is upset with the job and want his money back.

Asked on March 4, 2013 under Business Law, Texas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to review your contract with the owner and the subcontractor. If your contract with the owner is limited in scope to certain acts and this door installation and light installation is not part of it, then you are not liable for this third party's actions because it was not part of your contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption