How do I properly request governing documents and CCR’s from my HOA?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I properly request governing documents and CCR’s from my HOA?

I recently received a letter from their attorney threatening me with a lawsuit which would end with me paying all legal fees. If I had the money to pay all the legal fees, there would not be a dispute. My issue revolves around a RV that some members of my family have been living in since we lost around 80% of our home over 2 1/2 years ago due to a tornado that effected my community. As one of the only homeowners with insurance, I was denied most help from the numerous charitable organizations that helped many of my neighbors. The problem starts with my insurance company only willing to offer us $5,000 for repairs. We lost nearly everything.

Asked on December 21, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

At this point, since the lawsuit has not been filed, you can ask the HOA for the documents, but they might just ignore you.
If the lawsuit is filed against you, during the course of litigation there is discovery in which you can request documents.  You would file a Request for Production of Documents which is a list of the documents that you want to obtain.  The Request for Production of Documents is not filed with the court.  It is served by mail on the opposing party's attorney and it states that Defendant (you are the defendant) is requesting the following documents and they are to be produced by _______ (date) and delivered to ______ (your address).  You sign and date the request for production of documents and mail it with a proof of service to the opposing attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption