How can we get our family photos from a photographer that has been paid in full?

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we get our family photos from a photographer that has been paid in full?

We organized a photo/video shoot of a family function and paid the photographer in full on the day of the function. However, she is not giving the family video to us and not returning calls. All our emails to her are either not responded or that she is busy without committing a date/time to give the video. This is a very important family function and it has hurt our religious beliefs a lot. We have emails on the payment made and also that she owes the video. What are our options?

Asked on August 17, 2014 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your option is to sue her. You would sue her for breach of contract (not providing what you paid for and what she agreed to provide), seeking an injunction (court order) requiring specific performance of the contract (that she complete her obligations and turn over the photos & video). Of course, if she never actually took, lost, etc., the photos, it doesn't matter what the court orders--you can't get what does not exist. In that case, the best you can do is recover your money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption