What to do if the post office lost a package that we shipped?

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 28, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the post office lost a package that we shipped?

We have a family business of online product distribution across the US. We recently send a shipment through USPS that was about $1400. We have the receipt with tracking ID number. The shipment never reach the destination. USPS made us run for a long time and ultimately said it will reach destination if found by staff, our business is not doing so well. Can we put a claim on our shipment? Is there a way to get our shipment or money? This is really frustrating as we are new immigrants to US.

Asked on April 28, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot put in a claim for the value of the goods (or of the order) unless you purchased insurance on the shipment (that's what insurance is for, after all). If you did purchase insurance, you may be able to claim up to the limits of your coverage. Without insurance though, the post office is not liable for the loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption