Must I obey a subpoena?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must I obey a subpoena?

I was the 911 caller of a shooting. I did not witness the crime nor was I a victim. I simply found the victim and called 911. Now I am being subpoened to court. I do not wish to testify nor do I have the time. Is there anything I can do to avoid appearing in court? Do I have the right to remain anonomous?

Asked on October 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You might try to see if the parties can take your sworn testimony off of trial in front of a court reporter like a deposition. If not, you may wish to indicate to the prosecutor that you fear for your safety and wish to remain anonymous and can only serve a limited role of being the one who called 911. If you can, try speaking with legal aid if you don't wish to hire private counsel and see if anything can be done to help you out.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption