How to sell a house that is in probate with 2 people on deed both of whom are deceased?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to sell a house that is in probate with 2 people on deed both of whom are deceased?

The mother of 2 sons owned a home with the deed filed as

Asked on September 6, 2018 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your losses.  Ok so it really is not as difficult as it seems and you seem to be well versed in what needs to be done.  I would start by going to an established realtor in the area and speaking with them about their educated "guesstimate" as to the value way back when.  Then go to the county clerk and look at the assessed value for tax purposes.  Those records would likely be on microfilm unless converted.  You can also check when the mortgage was filed and the satisfaction was filed.  Bank records I am sure do not go back that far but you can get an idea and again, make an educated guess for court papers. If the heirs are the same then there likely be no one contesting your numbers so for practical purposes you will be fine.  Then proceed with the probate you described.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption