Help please ‘Order to show cause’ in NYC small claims

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Help please ‘Order to show cause’ in NYC small claims

I won a default judgement in NYC small claims court with an arbitrator. The defendant did not show up to court because they claim they never received information as to where and when the hearing was. I figured the court serves the defendant with the proper paperwork for them with all the information regarding the case. Their lawyer typed up a nice pile of papers, with an

Asked on October 10, 2016 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you don't need to draft any new legal papers. Show up for court on the new date indicated, bringing with your file about this matter--e.g. copies of your summon and complaint, any documents or evidence you had; etc.--and pbe prepared to, if necessary, present your case all over again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption