What can we do if we lease a house and have had trouble with our electricity going out twice with the problem affecting 2 rooms?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do if we lease a house and have had trouble with our electricity going out twice with the problem affecting 2 rooms?

Each time it took over a month to get it fixed. The electrician commented that he was surprised that there wasn’t a fire because the wire in the wall had burned in half. The only reason they sent the electrician the second time was because I threatened to get my own electrician and deduct it from the rent. Now the outlet for our clothes dryer doesn’t work and it’s been two week so far. Plus, there are no smoke detectors. I’ve told the realtor and the actual owner. Is there any chance that we can get out of the lease without harming our credit and get our deposit back?

Asked on October 28, 2013 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you contact you local building department/health and welfare and have an inspection of your rental since the landlord is not taking care of things. If the unit is cited, the landlord will have a certain period of time to rectify matters and if not, you might be able to terminate your lease without recourse. I suggest that you look on attorneypages.com for a landlord tenant attorney in your locality to give you greater guidance about the matter written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption