What should I do if I just found out that my boyfriend was giving me fraudulent checks to pay for our rent?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I just found out that my boyfriend was giving me fraudulent checks to pay for our rent?

He apparently stole a checkbook from someone and used it to write unauthorized checks. I have been depositing them in my own account and used them to pay our rent. The person he was stealing from has reported it to the police and they will probably search me. How do I defend myself?

Asked on January 4, 2015 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please go and speak with an attorney as soon as you can.  You are going to have to make a deal and testify against your boyfriend.  You deposited the checks which  makes you a conspirator in the crime and that is a big problem.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption