What is my landlord’s responsibility if my son has elevated lead levels in his blood?

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my landlord’s responsibility if my son has elevated lead levels in his blood?

My 14 month old son tested positive for his lead levels being elevated, so I have taken him to take the lead test for the state. Now my question is because the house I live in is over 100 years old and at the time we rented the land lord (who lives on first floor and has only owned the house for 2 years) said to his knowledge, there was no lead in the house but you can see chipping paint in my stairwell. So I’m wondering what action if any do I take from here.

Asked on November 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the landlord failed to take precautions against lead paint required by law, and/or misrepresented (lied) about  lead, then he would potentially be liable for your son's medical care and any injuries he sustains. What you should do is IMMEDIATELY speak with an attorney who handles cases like this, so you learn about what the case may be worth, how strong it is, and what you need to do to protect your rights and any evidence.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption