How can I speed up the process of obtaining a visa?

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I speed up the process of obtaining a visa?

My fiancé received his green card 2 years ago under EB2 classification and we plan on getting married soon. I am currently an F1 student and my goal is to hopefully obtain an H1B visa with a reputable employer and wait for him to sponsor me as a spouse once he receives his US citizenship in 3 years time. I was wondering if there is a way to speed up the process or not have to wait for his citizenship, just in case I am not able to obtain a job on OPT or H1B status after graduation in 4 months?

Asked on April 12, 2015 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

HE can petition you as a spouse as a green card holder as well but the process will take longer than if he is already a citizen.  However, it should still take less time than 3 years, in most cases.  However, as a spouse of a green card holder, you are not eligible for any immediate benefits such as work authorization so you will still need to proceed with the OPT and then eventually H-1B to serve as the bridge gap.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption