If my father recently ask me to prepare the deed to his home to add myself to the deed, how do I do it?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father recently ask me to prepare the deed to his home to add myself to the deed, how do I do it?

The property has a mortgage. Does that make any difference?

Asked on March 8, 2013 under Estate Planning, Arizona


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You really should consult a lawyer about doing this.  There are possible consequences to transferring title when the property has a mortgage although they are rarely enforced.  Many states impose taxes when you transfer title on a deed and that is always enforced. Depending on why your father wants to add you to the deed, there may be ways to accomplish his goals without changing the deed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption