Does a VPO also functions as an eviction notice or are they separate proceedings?

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a VPO also functions as an eviction notice or are they separate proceedings?

I was recently physically assaulted by my live-in boyfriend. I would like to file for a VPO in order to remove him from the home but am uncertain about whether this will happen. I have rented this property for the last 2 years and my name (and my minor daughter’s name) is the only one on the lease. My boyfriend moved in and established residency (or domicile, whatever the legal term is) in 9 months ago. He knows I can’t kick him out without formally evicting him, giving him notice, going through the courts, etc, so he refuses to leave.

Asked on September 4, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A Victim Protective Order would indeed get him out of the household but you need to make sure that under Oklahoma Law you have the grounds (and it is best to seek legal help with that).  Now, if you are granted the VPO I would still consult with an attorney about evicting him - legally evicting him.  Having all bases covered, so to speak.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption