What can I do about suspected retaliation for my using FMLA and unpaid leave?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about suspected retaliation for my using FMLA and unpaid leave?

I’ve had some recurring health issues for a couple years that has taken me out of work for about 3 months each year. I applied for FMLA and it was granted, then I was approved for a leave of absence after the 12 weeks were up. During my annual review, I was placed on probation due to attendance only. Besides the FMLA and leave of absence (unpaid) time, I have missed the same amount of days for the past 3 years. When I asked why I was being placed on probation this year vs. last year, I was told that it was because I missed a significant amount of time for 2 years in a row. Technically, if this is true I should have been put on probation last year. I feel as though I’m being punished for using fmla and unpaid leave due to my health.

Asked on July 1, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Maryland


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can file a complaint with the Department of Labor or your states workforce commission-- however, before you do, I would suggest that you take your employee hand-book and the write-up/review to an employment law attorney and let them guide you through the process.  Most administrative agencies require you to exhaust all of your in-house remedies through your employer before you can be granted any relief through them.  Many employees are poured out of their relief by this technicality.... so buttom up this issue before your file a complaint. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption