What to do about a lien release ona newly purchased truck?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a lien release ona newly purchased truck?

I purchased a bus from someone for $11,000 and paid by check. He gave me the title and signed it. When I tried to get the title under my name the MVA (Motor Vehicle Administration) told me that their is a lien on the bus and thaat I need a lien release. I asked the seller for the release and he said he would have it for me, It has been over a month and I am loosing money on the bus every day. The mistake I made is not taking a copy of the bill of sale, so I only have a title from the seller. What are my options?

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Business Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your option to get a quick result as to the lien release is to pay for the lien to be released and then demand that the seller of the vehicle reimburse you for the associated costs. If he or she refuses, your legal options seemingly will be in small claims court to get reimbursed for the additional costs that you did not anticipate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption