Whatt o do if my landlord is telling me that I have to take care of a cockroach infestation?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whatt o do if my landlord is telling me that I have to take care of a cockroach infestation?

The place I live in is a duplex. There is another tenant in the unit upstairs. My place was dirty when we got here. The landlord took care of matter once but then handed a letter to us saying if the exterminator were to return it would be at our expense?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

No, the infestation is the responsibility of the landlord under the theory that he warrants that the house is habitable.  Here is what you ned to do: go to court and ask the court to start a proceeding regarding the breach of the warranty of habitability and ask that you ne permitted to pay your rent in to court until it is cleared up.  Also ask for an abatement - reduction - of the rent for the time that the aprtment remains this way.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption