What should I do if I had my car towed to a mechanic a few days ago but it was damaged in the process?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I had my car towed to a mechanic a few days ago but it was damaged in the process?

Both the mechanic and guy who transported the car argue that the car was already like that. The vehicle isn’t insured because it hadn’t been driven in a couple or years. The car is still sitting at the mechanic’s shop until I can figure out the best thing to do. Should I first file a police report and get a quote from a body shop before moving the car?

Asked on January 30, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Definitely file a police report--someone else, you believe, damaged your car and you should report that damage and document it. There is no legal reason to get the quote from body shop first, then move the car, or vice versa, so you can do what makes more sense--BUT before anyone does anything else to the car (including moving it), take photographs from all angles, preferably with a digital camera that will date stamp them, to document the shape/condition; also have some family or friends view the car with you, so you'll have more witnesses to its current condition. (If you have it moved again, you don't want the mechanic or previous transporter to be able to argue that any damage was done on the second move.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption