Can I legally evict my wife from my home or even change the locks?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I legally evict my wife from my home or even change the locks?

I have a property that I owned prior to my marriage. My wife and I have been separated for the last 3 years but she and 2 of our children still reside in the home. I currently still pay the mortgage at the residence. Keep in mind that my wife has a residential property as well; a property that her mother and aunt live in.

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

And this was the marital home, correct?  I think that if you attempted to "evict" her - by placing her in the category of a tenant which is unclear that she is by the facts you have given - the court would not wish to take the case and deem her a tenant.  I think that they would bounce the case back to you and tell you to file for divorce and claim this as separate property in that action.  Especially that your KIDS are living there.  And do not change the locks unless you have an agreement that gives you exclusive occupancy or a court order doing the same.  Time to speak with a matrimonial attorney. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption