What to do if a used car that I purchased keeps breaking down?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a used car that I purchased keeps breaking down?

They wouldn’t give me my money back and they won’t fix it. This is my first time purchasing a car so I have no real knowlege of what to do. This car is costing me alot of money in repairs. The first time there was a electrical problem just 2 weeks after I got it, and it’s been down hill ever since. Also, I pay a note on it. 

Asked on December 30, 2010 under General Practice, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you purchased a motor vehicle from a retail seller and he helped you get the financing or provided it himself, you need to check with your state's department of financial institutions and your AG (attorney general) to see if this company is licensed to give notes (offer financing) on any motor vehicle (used or new).  This might be your best recourse. When you buy used, you usually buy "as is" and in fact you may have signed such a document.  If you buy "as is", this means you don't buy it with warranties (i.e., you didn't buy it with a warranty that these items about which you complain would be fixed).  Every state has lemon laws but each state is different.  Some states allow lemon law coverage for used cars, too but you need to have certain conditions occur before you are covered. Go and talk to the two agencies I mentioned.  Perhaps your state's consumer protection laws against unfair and deceptive acts may help you in your particular situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption